Click here to close
New Message Alert
List Entire Thread
Msg ID: 2600099 old mechanic +1/-2     
Author:fire contracts
11/1/2019 2:58:52 PM

Im too old for smart azz replies becuase ive heard them all.


Ive done utility, oil and ems.


Whats it take to get on a fire contract?

Msg ID: 2600120 old mechanic +4/-0     
Author:go to work for someone
11/1/2019 5:00:55 PM

Reply to: 2600099

who has  fire contracts, get carded.

Msg ID: 2600166 old mechanic +2/-0     
11/1/2019 10:22:48 PM

Reply to: 2600099

 Usually the Fire contract requires a certain amount of field time and experience on the helicopter type offered for contract. Each contract has variable experience requirements.

 Lots of cheapo companies will want you to fuel truck drive as well so a commercial drivers license and haz-mat endorsement.

 And... you’ll generally have to dumb down to handle forest service foolishness.

Msg ID: 2600195 old mechanic +1/-0     
Author:old guy
11/2/2019 8:36:01 AM

Reply to: 2600099

You need to get a CDL with hazmat endorsement. If you drive a tanker with 1000 gallons you need a Tanker endorsement. If you get on with a company that has a fire contract and you work on T3's they will want you to drive also. You need to negotiate for a wage above your regular mechanic pay if that's what you want. Good luck with that though. You will have to put up with Forest Service mentality however. It's all good if you're thick skinned.

Msg ID: 2600278 old mechanic +1/-0     
Author:me too
11/3/2019 8:34:04 AM

Reply to: 2600099

I would research the companies that are hiring. A good outfit will try to keep a good wrench year round. Fires can pay a decent wage but then u could get dumped at end of season.

Long days dealing with Florist Circus Prima Donnas can test most peoples patience.

Msg ID: 2600389 old mechanic +1/-0     
Author:been there
11/3/2019 10:10:11 PM

Reply to: 2600099

Pretty well answered already.

However, I disagree with the premise that there's something wrong (cheap) about driving the fuel truck.  Most likely during your first couple seasons you're not going to be the lead mech, and therefor not going to fly with the aircraft when it moves between locations. 

So you're going to either drive the truck and service trailer to the next location, ride as a passenger in the truck/service trailer, maybe drive the 'crew rig' if the crew is big enough, or drive the fuel truck.

At a minimum you should get 20¢ a mile for driving the fuel truck as you'll have the responsibilty, skills (CDL/hazmat/tanker endorsment), and the risks involved with driving the fuel truck.

The benefit of an A&P driving the fuel truck is that when you get where you're going, you have that extra qualified mechanic to work on the helicopter, instead of a fuel truck driver.  Not bad mouthing fuel truck drivers, just pointing out an advantage.