1. if your sick your sick- let the station complain, they will get over it. If you want to go out then go out, the number of times they call you to fly after hours is small, but they will call you
2. if you are being hired as the main pliot you are likely responsible for finding your own backup guys, there may be some there already but its your gig and Heli Inc will want you to take care of it
3. See above. You schedule your guys to cover for you, and then while you are on vacation you get to take care of all the issues that they cant handle while you are away
4. What ever you can bargin for and then each year bitch like hell until they give you something more. Most contacts are written that the station pays an extra % each year (for costs going up) so what ever you can scratch back from them is yours in salary increases
5. depends on the station, most ENG jobs are rotating through pilots because the stations are a pain in the behind and they think they own the pilot. The ones that never change are because the station is okay to work with. Most of the time its up to you as a pilot to stand up to the station when they are being unreasonable.
Is it an Okay job? depends.....
I have been with the same station/contract for the last 12 years has worked out for me and i had plenty of vacations. Also have had plenty of weekends where they have been paying me to go about my life and they havent called me out.
If nothing else it gets you working in a market and allows you to make contacts with other pilots/Companys.